Allie


Wednesday, June 15

"how does she feel about it and what is she thinking about how she feels?"

(A quote from probably one of the best YouTube videos of all time: Boys Will Be Girls, which has little to do with my current state of emotion but is guaranteed to make you laugh!)

Welp! The day has finally come. TOMORROW I leave for India. I've been waiting for this for literally years and I honestly cannot believe it's here. For the past year, I've been researching programs, non-profits and jobs in India. I've been let down more than a few times, gotten my hopes up and almost given up. But alas! It was not a hopeless cause because in the end, even though it was hard and tedious work, I found the perfect non-profit that has already given me more than I could have asked for (and I haven't even arrived in India yet) and I have a sneaky feeling I'll be able to return the favor to them.

For those of you who haven't heard the logistics of my journey, I'll give you a brief summary. I will be teaching English and a computer course to about 94 children in an orphanage in the south of India (in order to protect the children's identities and safety, I can't publicly disclose my specific whereabouts... but I'll tell you one thing, it's going to be HOT). I will be living with nuns in the orphanage and I will likely be the only American in the entire town. This sounds scary on paper but to be honest, I'm most nervous about the 14 hour plane ride (EEK!!)

This venture is something I'm extremely passionate about and something I've dreamed of doing my entire life. To everyone who has donated to my campaign, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! This trip also would not have been possible without you. Also a big thank you to my beautiful friends and family for being supportive, not thinking I'm a crazy person and constantly telling me "you'll be fine" (those words strangely comfort me a lot). Without that mental support, I may not have had the courage to take this trip and volunteer opportunity.

I wish money wasn't so important, but unfortunately it is! If you're interested in making a donation, click here to donate to my cause and also help support the Miracle Foundation, a small non-profit in Austin, Texas that believes in giving children that stereotypically have no chance for success, the opportunity for education and higher standards of living and who are sending me to India to help make this happen.

NAMASTE TUMBLR WORLD! Stay tuned for lots and lots of updates!

And India, I shall see you soon!

No comments: