Allie


Thursday, August 2

thinking back

the beautiful bay area

I, like many, look forward to the Olympics every four years without fail. I've always loved the women's gymnastics, mostly because I was quite the tumbler growing up [in Texas, pretty much everyone is a competitive cheerleader]. But it wasn't until this year that I actually felt something a little bit deeper than merely excitement as the gymnasts stuck their landings. While watching the games a few nights ago, I saw a commercial featuring Nadia Comaneci's perfect 10 and it hit me.

Besides the obvious induced patriotism and the competition aspect, I think I like the Olympics so much because of the stories behind the athletes. So many of them came from humble beginnings; so many of them were told "you can't"; and every single one of them has worked absurdly hard to get to where they are today. Though I'm hardly athletic and no where near the accomplishments of the teams, I think their stories, drive and motivation can apply to anyone's life and anyone's passion. Their stories further my belief in "if you work hard enough, you can make anything happen." And for the first time in a while, I'm starting to believe that maybe making my dreams come true isn't as far away as I once thought. This confidence couldn't have come at a better time.

PS: Today, you can also find me over at Catherine's blog talking about India! Thanks for having me, Catherine!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

watching Nadia gets me every time! But since I was a gymnast growing up, the women's gymnastics always hits home. And this year I was a crying mess at the end of the team finals.

Robyn said...

a read a blog the other day and (happyhomemaker) and Laura was talking about how different US coverage of the Olympics differs to that in the UK-here we have no adverts (horay) but not as many back stories of the athletes...although I think that is not quite true, it is just our backstories focus on the British athletes...maybe in the US it is international athletes...

Pretty Zesty said...

I love gymnastics too. I get mesmerized by it. My fiance too! haha... got him hooked on the beam!

kristen
www.beholdthemetatron.com

Niken said...

i love watching The Olympics too. but not as much as i love World Cup and Euro. haha

Anonymous said...

Ah this year was incredible for women's gymnastics! I love when something makes me feel inspired to follow my dreams like that! :)

Evani
simplyevani@gmail.com

Ariel Tyler Henley said...

I love it for the very same reasons! It's so inspiring to see people who turn other people's doubts and turn it into motivation to pursue their dreams.

Allie said...

Love this. It's so true. I also love hearing their stories and seeing what it took to get them to where they are now. It's fascinating.

Unknown said...

WOW that photo is so stunning! I am not following the Olympics very much, although it's all happening here, in London. At least I watched the opening ceremony!

Stacy said...

I love the Nadia commercial too - gives me goosebumps every time! And you're right about Texas and gymnastics. I think bc I once mastered a round-off backhandspring that I can somehow feel their pain when they don't stick a double twisted whatever! :)

Kate Fitchett said...

When I see the Olympics, it is amazing how much skill and ability that all of the athletes have. I am always rooting for USA however you are so right in knowing all of the stories. I love watching, because it is so great to see that all of the people are just that, people. No matter where you come from, you still have an amazing wonderful story to tell.

Vic said...

It is pretty inspirational, and to be honest I'm not sure I've spoken to anyone who's watched the olympics and not been touched by it in some way. We don't really get the athletes stories over here which is such a shame!