Allie


Tuesday, April 26

"I get by with a little help from my friends..."

Most people cried at their high school graduation. But I had to fake it. Inside, I was rejoicing that this "hell" was finally over. It just wasn't fun for me, the whole high school thing. I tried to make it work, but my heart just wasn't there. I didn't like myself, which made it hard for others to like me. I was always confused, I felt jaded and I was constantly trying to be someone that I wasn't.

But college graduation will be a different story. I know it's commonly said, but these past four years have been the greatest of my short 22 years of life. I have grown a lot. I've learned what it's like to love, and lose. I've learned to truly let go of people who just aren't worth it, no matter how long they've been around. Although the following are still works in progress, I've learned about myself, what I stand for, who I want to become and what I'm searching for. But most importantly, I've learned about friendship. I've met the people who will be in my life forever and after four years of spending every waking minute together, I can't imagine what life will be like in just a few short weeks when we're separated.

Thankfully, I know these friendships are strong enough to withstand the great distances we'll be from each other. I apologize if this post seems unusual, since characteristically I write about either nothing at all or, of course, my latest favorite meal. But I thought it was important to touch on a subject that has been overwhelming my thoughts and emotions for weeks, at times making it hard not to shed a tear (or 10). Plus, I wanted to pay a little homage to all of the people who have undoubtedly shaped the person I've become and made these past four years truly irreplaceable (you know who you are).

But enough of this sob story; besides being the best friends in the world, my friends also know how to eat (thank GOD). So without further adieu, our latest potluck masterpiece...

IMG_1448
Casey's famous guac


IMG_1455
Siobhan's caprese salad


IMG_1441
Step one to empanada-making... lots of chopping.


IMG_1456
Ready to pop in the oven...


Finished product.


I'd write a step-by-step on how to make these, but really, all you have to do is sautee anything you think would be good in croissant-ish dough with garlic and olive oil (maybe a little pesto). Cut puff pastry into rectangles. Fill rectangles with sauteed-goodness and cheese. Fold and seal with a fork. Paint egg on top so it looks all glossy and professional and pop 'em in the oven at 400 degrees until the tops are golden and crispy.

IMG_1450
Enjoy with Blue Moon(s) and your best friends.

No comments: