Allie


Sunday, March 18

beyond starbucks: caffe calabria

In honor of New Year's Resolution #1, buy local and support local businesses, I've been on a mission lately to buy my iced tea somewhere else besides Starbucks. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the venti black iced tea lemonade [no sweetener] and I [guilty] have a gold card, but Starbucks is Starbucks and there are so many other options, local options, that provide the same product, but sometimes better! And almost always cheaper. My first favorite 'Beyond Starbucks' cafe is Caffe Calabria, located on 30th and Lincoln in North Park. The place is lively. The iced tea [ceylon] is 100% the best I've ever had AND they give you free refills. [do I even need to say it? If it's free, it's for me!] The baristas are super friendly and even though sometimes the line gets a little long, it's always worth it. Calabria has nommy treats like rugelach, mini salami sandwiches, bagels... the whole nine yards. and even though I'm not a coffee drinker, I've heard it's pretty darn tasty. 


I somehow don't have a picture of the iced tea... but it really is the greatest. though the tea and treats keep me coming back time and time again, I think the best part of this cafe is the people. On sunny days, locals will bring their dogs and hang out at the tables outside. When it's rainy [like today], people will sit for hours, reading a book, writing on their laptop or catching up with an old friend. Everyone always seems happy and friendly [probably because the iced tea is so good]. 
{3933 30th street, san diego}

1 comment:

Sarah J. said...

I just went to Caffe Calabria last weekend - you HAVE to return and have their pizza. Seriously some of the best I've ever had, ever.

Always love reading your blog - you're always so optimistic and active! Hope to see you around soon!

- Sarah J.