Allie


Saturday, April 28

ma.te.ri.al.ism

noun
1. preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts and considerations, with a disinterest or rejection of spiritual, intellectual or cultural values.

Now I have to give myself a little credit. I don't think I'm truly materialistic (because I'm certainly not rejecting spiritual, intellectual and absolutely not cultural values), but I do admit I tend to get wrapped up in... stuff. Recently, I've been on a splurge: new bag, new wallet, new skirt, filet mignon for one... and some more things. Being the person I am, I can't just be content with these purchases, I have to guilt trip myself a little. Oftentimes, I find myself thinking (like the rest of America), "I wish I made more money." But isn't that just so typical? Always wishing for more.  And not for more love or more knowledge but for something as insignificant as more money to buy more things. I think back to my time in India... where in the town I lived and volunteered in, most people made about 1000 rupee ($25) every couple of months. Wow. It's kind of a wake up call when you think of things like that.

"Destruction" 
Photograph by Peter Miller


{Just something that's been on my mind lately! What do you think?} 

No comments: